Verapamil product description
Verapamil is a drug used to treat various forms of coronary heart disease, as well as various types of angina pectoris.
The types of angina pectoris that are eliminated with this drug are:
• Unstable angina (resting stenocardia),
• Vasospastic angina (Prinzmetal angina),
• postinfarction angina in patients without heart failure, unless beta-blockers are shown.
In addition to all the over-listed, Verapamil is prescribed for such diseases as:
• paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia,
• Atrial fibrillation.
Doses of Verapamil are selected individually. The drug is taken during, or immediately after eating, not chewing, with a large quantity of liquid (for example, a glass of water, it is forbidden to drink grapefruit juice).
Verapamil safety information
There are some contraindications, which you should read before starting taking Verapamil. They are the next:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- acute phase of myocardial infarction with complications;
- cardiogenic shock;
- severe conduction disorders: AV-blockade of II and III degree (except for patients with an implanted artificial pacemaker);
- syndrome of weakness of the sinus node (except for patients with an implanted artificial pacemaker);
- Decompensated heart failure;
- sinoatrial blockade;
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome;
- Atrial fibrillation and simultaneous presence of WPW syndrome;
- During treatment with verapamil, do not simultaneously use intravenous β-blockers (except for intensive care);
The next thing which is worthy of attention – overdose. You should be careful and prevent overdose because it can cause many dangerous symptoms, which can threaten your life.
Symptoms of a Verapamil overdose depend on the dose of the drug taken, the time when the detoxification measures started, and the age of the patient.
• A significant decrease in blood pressure, violation of the heart rhythm until the shock and cardiac arrest
• Dizziness, coma, hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, impaired renal function, hypoxia, metabolic acidosis, cardiogenic shock with pulmonary edema, convulsions.
Verapamil side effects
Before you start taking the drug, you should definitely consult with your doctor, as the drug can cause side effects that you need to be prepared for.
The drug can affect by the following symptoms:
- On the cardiovascular system, sinus bradycardia, AV blockade II, III degree, peripheral edema, sinus node or I arrest, palpitation, tachycardia, hot flashes, arterial hypotension, development or exacerbation of heart failure.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: nausea, constipation, vomiting, pain, abdominal discomfort, intestinal obstruction, gingivitis and bleeding gums.
- Neurological disorders: a headache, dizziness, extrapyramidal disorders, tremor, paresthesia.
- Organs of hearing and vestibular apparatus: ringing in the ears, dizziness.
- From the skin: Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema polymorph, maculopapular rash, alopecia, purpura urticaria, pruritus.
- On the part of the reproductive system: erectile dysfunction, gynecomastia, galactorrhea.
- From the musculoskeletal system, connective tissue: muscle weakness, myalgia, and arthralgia.
- From the immune system: hypersensitivity, angioedema.
- Laboratory indicators: possible increasing the activity of hepatic enzymes and serum prolactin levels.